Lozinka

Odgovori

Uređivanje
Staro 19.06.2007., 20:09   #1
ptaH

Datum registracije: Jun 2007
(engleski) Kasda modem in router mode

Bok.

I hope it will be possible for me to get some help on this forum in english language. I am living in Croatia for some weeks and I am still not abble to talk properly or to understand everything said on the other topics.

According to my research on internet, it seems to be possible to get the Kasda modem working as a router and not as a Bridge anymore. I tried to follow the Croatian manual (without result) and some advices given on forums but I still cant get it working.

Right now the modem acts like a bridge and the parameters are the following

As you can see, i can change the first entry and try to set it on PPPOE but it will always stay the second line that i cannot delete or edit.

I hope to get some help here and if you need more details i will answer as soon as possible.
ptaH je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 19.06.2007., 20:16   #2
ćiber_manija
CyberSky

Datum registracije: Feb 2004
The line that you can not delete is for MAXTV.
Delete an line that you can and make a new one for the router mode.
Oglas

Oglas
Staro 19.06.2007., 20:22   #3
ptaH

untill now, all what i did was to edit the first line and to enter the parametters for routing mode.
I never deleted the line and created a new one. Do you think it can be the reason ?
Staro 20.06.2007., 09:21   #4
Pomo
Laughing Man
Moj komp

Datum registracije: Sep 2005
IMHO, do not bother with Kasda in routing mode. Buy yourself any half decent router and leave that piece of crap as a bridge modem.
If you are using p2p, expect Kasda in routing mode to overheat/block etc.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams ... glitter in the dark near Tanhauser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost ... in time, like tears ... in rain. Time ... to die.
Pomo je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 20.06.2007., 10:00   #5
ptaH

Well i also own a Netgear modem/routeur (bought in France) but for some unknown reason he doesnt succeed to catch the adsl signal.
Does it mean that the adsl provided by Tcom is only supported by their modems?

I will try again later to get kasda working in routing mode. If i dont succeed do you know if there is any way to keep kasda as a bridge, to plug the ethernet port1 to netgear port 1 and then to use the netgear to route the connection to the other computers?
I succeeded to go on internet with a computer plugged on netgear port2 but i couldnt get an other computer online.

When i see all those problems i can only regreat the french internet providers
Staro 20.06.2007., 11:44   #6
horza
ono ispred konpjuktora
Moj komp

Datum registracije: Apr 2003
I have wasted countless hours reverse-engineering KASDA routers and came to a fascinating conclusion - it sucks really... so I have discontinued my work on making KASDA a bit better
anyhow... here is my backup file with KASDA (IPTV version) working in route mode...
go to your router configuration (192.168.1.1)
Management -> Settings -> Backup -> Click the backup button and save the file.
open the file using notepad (do not edit with anything except for notepad, ultraedit, pspad and other unix-compatible editors)
open this attached file too.
now... in my file find the ***MY*USERNAME*** and ***MY*PASSWORD*** strings and replace them with your ADSL username and password (note that your username is "username@htnet-dsl", not just "username"... so I left it in my config )

save the file
this is basically it, but I wouldn't suggest uploading this file just like that. I'm not sure if hashed password would be same on your router as it is in mine, so you might get locked-out.

so... at he beginning of your backup file find
Citiraj:
(sorry for removing the brackets, but forum doesn't parse it right)
sysUserName value="admin"
sysPassword value="YWRtaW4="
sptPassword value="c3VwcG9ydA=="
usrPassword value="cGFzc3dvcmQ="
copy those lines over the same lines in my backup file...
save it and go to Management -> Settings -> Update -> and upload the modified file. this should do the trick...

i take no responsibility for the possible damage done following this quick guide or using my backup file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt backupsettings-by-horza.txt‎ (2.4 kB, 648 views)

Horza (death dwarf)
birthsign: rebel

character perks
+95 excel organisation, +50 weather resistance, -20 energy, -35 image of reality, -80 house choirs

major skills
open-source, discussion, self-hypnosis, poetry, schtulichism

greater powers
final waves (alcohol hypnosis +30, self)
bat brotherhood (skip sleeping, -20 energy/night)
misunderstanding jokes (demoralise +50 in 30ft radius)
summon unknown female (demoralise +75 on target)

artifacts of choice
tv remote (hibernate +20 on self)
lounge chair (fortify sleeping +60 on self)
linux (destabilise system +45 on target)

little is known about this dwarf. he is known to be active overnight and unpredictable.
Cyrodiil citizens have witnessed him in a "thompson" tavern near his lair.
horza je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 20.06.2007., 11:52   #7
horza
ono ispred konpjuktora
Moj komp

Citiraj:
Autor ptaH Pregled postova
Well i also own a Netgear modem/routeur (bought in France) but for some unknown reason he doesnt succeed to catch the adsl signal.
Does it mean that the adsl provided by Tcom is only supported by their modems?

I will try again later to get kasda working in routing mode. If i dont succeed do you know if there is any way to keep kasda as a bridge, to plug the ethernet port1 to netgear port 1 and then to use the netgear to route the connection to the other computers?
I succeeded to go on internet with a computer plugged on netgear port2 but i couldnt get an other computer online.

When i see all those problems i can only regreat the french internet providers
nope... you can use some ADSL modems with HR ISPs, but making them work sometime takes more time than making kasda work

yes, you can use netgear routers to dial through kasda, but I really have no clue on how to do it did it once using mikrotik router and I'm just not brave/bored enough to try it ever again

Horza (death dwarf)

character perks
+95 excel organisation, +50 weather resistance, -20 energy, -35 image of reality, -80 house choirs

major skills

greater powers

artifacts of choice

little is known about this dwarf. he is known to be active overnight and unpredictable.
Staro 20.06.2007., 12:00   #8
Nikky

Datum registracije: Sep 2006
For beginning some facts.
You have last edition of Kasda modem with support for MaxTv (TV over IP), and appropriate configuration is second line in your config picture. In present configuration (Bridge and Router mode) dedicated connectors for computers are one with green mark until red one is for set-top box for IpTv. You can’t edit / delete second line in standard way because it is protected (Remove / Edit is grayed). To accomplish this you need to load config file witch will remove second line and free all LAN ports for internet (read as computers). Before proceed be aware this peace hardware is crap and hardly correctly work especially in Router mode (lack of hardware power). Yours Netgear modem / router isn’t catch adsl because is probably design for adsl annex A and wrong VPI / VCI parameters. In Croatia T-Com and Iskon use adsl annex B on normal and ISDN tel. lines.

Now, what you can do.
For start and easiest is to edit first line of configuration, after witch you can connect two (2) computers (or more if are connected via additional switch) in “green” LAN ports. For start I suggest you to change properties of network card on computer from witch you configure modem. Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties
- check Use the following IP address
IP address: 192.168.1.2 (number from 2 to 254, each computer must have unique number in lan)
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.1.1
- check Use the following DNS server addresses
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS server: 195.29.150.3

Remark: DNS server depend witch provider you use:
T-Com: 195.29.150.3 i 195.29.150.4
Iskon: 213.191.128.8 i 213.191.128.9
Because picture says thousand words following steps you can see in this manual in pages 6 to 10. Ignore your second config line, you will edit first one. In Adwanced – WAN configuration of modem check Remove on first line from your picture and press Remove button. Now press Add button and follow given manual. Only difference is for cells for your account (Username, Password) and Service Name (here you can put whatever you wont, T-Com for example. On each page after appropriate inputs press Next button. On last one you will see summary parameters and Save button. Now in Adwanced – DNS in second line add DNS of yours provider as you do in properties of network card. Now you ready for Press Save / Reboot to reboot modem. Now you must wait until modem initialize again (few minutes). That’s it, try to browse internet.

Second option is to load new config file in modem after witch you will have all 4 LAN for computers and protected config line for IpTv will be deleted / overwritten.

The third option is to leave Kasda in Bridge mode and to buy “normal” router, configure it, and use without any problems or buy router with integrated adsl modem after witch you don’t use Kasda modem.

Fourth option is to try configure yours Netgear with appropriate adsl parameters. See given manual. Parameters:
VPI:=0
VCI=33
Service Category=UBR Without PCR
Encapsulation Mode=LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING
IP Adress=Automatically Assigned
Nikky je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 20.06.2007., 19:35   #9
shimpa
PC Ekspert

Datum registracije: Nov 2001
/sign on what Horza said.

Kasda modems do not have enough memory to work efficiently in router mode, so use them only in bridged mode and use another router to do the NAT-ing of your home/office network. It will save you a lot of time/money/nerves.

That's just my experience with that piece of equipment.
shimpa je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 20.06.2007., 21:16   #10
rams
Moj komp

Datum registracije: Jul 2004
Thats not entirely correct , I have Kasda and is succesfully runnin' in router mode with 2 computers going on internet over her for quite some time now.

I have followed instructions written here on the forum and everything is okay for now , I'll see if I have enough time to try to translate instructions on english, just the part that matters and that is putting Kasda in routing mode.

Oglas
Staro 20.06.2007., 22:01   #11
rams
Moj komp

OK, I gave myself some effort and did this:

Transfering Kasda KD318-MUI ADSL router from bridge to routing mode (original tutorial by vsurlan)

Goals:

1. Break through T-Com settings to free two ethernet connectors reserved for IPTV. This allows connecting 4 computers to Kasda.

2. Set Kasda to routing mode.

3. Set OS to use Kasda as a router.

Check if all physical connections are OK and is Kasda on!

Computers <-> ethernet cable <-> Kasda
Kasda <-> phone cable <-> Splitter («Modem» connector)
Phone <-> phone cable <-> Splitter
Splitter («Line» connector) <-> phone cable <-> phone line

You can recognize IPTV connectors on rear side of Kasda by a red outline around them, the normal ethernet connectors are outlined green. OK, now next step is setting Kasda to use those IPTV connectors as normal ethernet connectors.

Warning: If anything goes wrong you can hard reset Kasda to default settings. This is how:

1. Locate hard reset switch, usually on rear side between ON/OFF button and ethernet connector.

2. Use something thin and while Kasda is on press hard reset switch and hold it pressed, turn off Kasda, wait few seconds an turn it on, then after 10-15 seconds release hard reset switch.

OK let's begin, this is configuration file that you're gonna need later so download it: Kasda KD318-MUI settings.txt

Now point your browser to 192.168.1.1, pick Management -> Settings -> Backup -> Backup Settings

Loading new Kasda settings: (if there happens anything wrong in process, just hit Back button and redo the step)

1. Start your browser, point it to 192.168.1.1, you should get a login dialog.

2. Enter username usually admin, and password usually 0000.

3. Go to Management -> Settings -> Update -> Browse, choose the file you downloaded before (if it won't load it, try renameing the file to backupsettings.conf) and now hit Update settings.

4. Go to Management -> Save/Reboot -> wait for some time (sometimes like 1-1.5 minutes at most) for Kasda to reboot.

Thats it, now all four ethernet connectors are ready to use. Now we just need to configure the OS.

Go to Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection (right click Properties), and this is how it looks at me:

- Client for Microsoft Networks is marked
- File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks is marked
- QoS Packet Scheduler is not marked
- PPP over Ethernet Protocol is marked
- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) is marked

Choose Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) -> Properties

- select Use the following IP adress
set IP adress to 192.168.1.* ; * is any nuber from 2 to 254.
Subnet mask is: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway is: 192.168.1.1

- select Use the following DNS server adresses
Preferred DNS server: 192.168.1.1
Alternate DNS server: empty ; it's not necessary, but it's good to add alternate DNS servers for the provider u use.
For T-Com that is 195.29.150.3 and 195.29.150.4
And for Iskon 213.191.128.8 and 213.191.128.9.

(translated to english from croatian by rams)

Moderatori, ako vam se da mozete oo dodati i u originalni thread ako ubuduce netko dodje na forum a nezna HR
Staro 20.06.2007., 22:43   #12
shimpa
PC Ekspert

Datum registracije: Nov 2001
just interested: what is the maximum uptime of your kasda's in router mode (a general public question)? do you run any services behind it that would require some port forwarding?

when i set it up in router mode it would live up to maybe a week and most of the time i would need to reset it every day. also, many times a simple reset wouldn't do the trick, it wouldn't connect. now i run it bridged and i have a d-link di-524 wireless router and didn't reset it once since i installed it (6 months? something like that, that d-link doesn't have a tool where i could check).

i'm a lazy guy, i like my stuff to work with as little administrative effort as possible and spending 300 kunas on 100% stable system puts a smile on my face

again, just my experience, maybe these new models got better (hope so).
shimpa je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 20.06.2007., 22:49   #13
rams
Moj komp

Well for me it's not a problem to turn it off and on once in 2 days, and that's just plain on/off action, nothing else, done in like 1 minute.
Staro 20.06.2007., 23:55   #14
horza
ono ispred konpjuktora
Moj komp

Citiraj:
Autor shimpa Pregled postova
just interested: what is the maximum uptime of your kasda's in router mode (a general public question)? do you run any services behind it that would require some port forwarding?
21 days. 4-6 computers. routing mode. time server directly on kasda, max number of rules (30) to open up connections to devel server. firewall, qos and logging turned off. turning any of those on, caused it to get jammed with processes (belive it or not) and the CPU just overheated and shut down oh, and that was the "non-IPTV" version (that means that kernel module for QOS isn't loaded at boot time, so that it uses less RAM)... i doubt that IPTV version coul come anywhere near that kind of performance.
Citiraj:
Autor shimpa Pregled postova
when i set it up in router mode it would live up to maybe a week and most of the time i would need to reset it every day. also, many times a simple reset wouldn't do the trick, it wouldn't connect. now i run it bridged and i have a d-link di-524 wireless router and didn't reset it once since i installed it (6 months? something like that, that d-link doesn't have a tool where i could check).

i'm a lazy guy, i like my stuff to work with as little administrative effort as possible and spending 300 kunas on 100% stable system puts a smile on my face

again, just my experience, maybe these new models got better (hope so).
new models are exactly the same as the old ones. you can even load the QOS module in the old version when I said "reverse enginered kasda modem", i meant it

Horza (death dwarf)

character perks

major skills

greater powers

artifacts of choice

Staro 21.06.2007., 08:48   #15
Xan
networking wannabe guru
Moj komp

Datum registracije: Sep 2002
mine works fine 24/7 with 2 computers

Also quoted numerous times by overly melodramatic players of Unreal Tournament upon detonation of the Redeemer weapon.

"Now I have become death, the destroyer of worlds who has come to annihilate everyone."
Xan je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 15.07.2007., 16:09   #16
ptaH

Thanks for you all.

I'm sorry, i couldnt answer because i went to France during some weeks but now I am back and i ll try all your suggestions.

I will let you know if it will work. thx a lot.
Staro 15.07.2007., 19:22   #17
ptaH

Great!

Thanks to you all I get this horrible modem to work as a router.

I first tried the moded conf given by rams but I didnt get any result, then i tried horza's file and it is now all ok.

I will try again with the moded one because if i understood you all, it is supposed to allow the use of more than 2 computers instead of this TV service.

Thx again for taking time and answering in English.

Hvala vam puno
Staro 15.07.2007., 23:36   #18
rams
Moj komp

It's never a problem to help someone
Staro 16.10.2008., 12:24   #19
sjdigital

Datum registracije: Oct 2008
I found this thread while trying to resolve the same problem of turning a Kasda bridge modem into a router (where would we be without Mr. Google?) but I haven't been able to make it work so I thought I'd see if any of the gurus were still around and could help.

I have followed horza's suggestions and have modified his downloaded configuration file to reflect my username and password details and I have also ensured that various Username and Password values at the beginning of the file have been overwritten with the relevant text from my own configuration file. I also made sure to save the file as backupsettings.conf

So far, so good. But when I try to upload the file, it starts the reconfiguration but then just hangs. I have left it for 15 minutes but it doesn't complete the update. I then tried a Save and Reboot, and this brought the modem back to life and I could see in the WAN settings that I now had PPoE instead of Bridge in one of the lines. But it would not connect to T-Com. Obviously I'm getting close to making it work, but something isn't quite right. So I've had to do a rest to default settings and I'm back where I started with a bridge modem.

Can anyone suggest what I'm missing?

Thanks
sjdigital je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 16.10.2008., 13:02   #20
Nikky

Datum registracije: Sep 2006
You can do it:
1 - go thru WAN settings and reselect / retype selection or data (look posts 8., 11.) + Applay + Save and Reboot and try again
2 - go and bay normal router:
a) leave Kasda in Bridge mode + new router with WAN on input
b) throw away Kasda and bay new router with ADSL Annex B modem on input
Suggestions:
a) http://www.hgspot.hr/opis.aspx?ID=011424 or http://www.hgspot.hr/opis.aspx?ID=020286
b) http://www.hgspot.hr/opis.aspx?ID=020669
Nikky je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 16.10.2008., 13:47   #21
sjdigital

Datum registracije: Oct 2008
Nikky, you are a star! I was focusing my efforts on uploading a new config file as suggested by horza and rams that I hadn't taken the time to read properly your earlier post (number 8). Had I done so, I've have saved myself a lot of bother as the step through to reconfigure the WAN settings was very straightforward.

Many thanks.
sjdigital je offline   Reply With Quote
Staro 16.10.2008., 13:56   #22
thopok

Datum registracije: Jun 2008
thopok je offline   Reply With Quote
Oglasni prostor
Oglas

Oglas
Odgovori

Pravila postanja
Vi ne možete otvarati nove teme