View Single Post
Staro 11.01.2021., 19:24   #30
The Exiled
McG
Moj komp

Datum registracije: Feb 2014
Citiraj:
Autor Exy Pregled postova
Kad smo kod ARM-a jel imaju ovdje iskusni stari lisci (jednom nogom u penziji ) kakav link gdje se to fino objašnjava za nas budale? Mene recimo zanima ta razlika između RISC-a i CISC-a, ne na nekoj tehničkoj inženjerskoj razini nego čisto praktično, može li risc sve isto kao i cisc ili postoje neka ograničenja zbog kojih neće nikada moći obavljati određene procese?

Ovako laički jedino što primijećujem je da ARM radi sa vrlo malom potrošnjom energije, jer je tako dizajniran valjda od početka, dok spuštanje x86 na niske razine potrošnje (Atom) u biti nije baš prošlo jako dobro.
Kad gledam taj novi Apple-ov SOC nije mi jasno kako može biti toliko efikasniji, da li je to zato što Intel zadnjih 10 godina ništa ne ulaže u x86 pa je sad ovo bolje čisto zbog količine R&D-a ili je risc po svojoj prirodi efikasniji? Malo sam konfuzan ali najviše me zanima zapravo jel postoje neke stvari koje x86 može izvesti bolje čisto zbog arhitekture? Što je to točno rich u RISC
RISC: Reduced instruction set computer - materijala koliko te volja, barem za početak.

New #1 Supercomputer: Fugaku in Japan, with A64FX, take Arm to the Top with 415 PetaFLOPs
Citiraj:
At the heart of Fugaku is the A64FX, a custom Arm v8-A CPU-based chip optimised for compute. The total configuration uses 158,976 of these 48+4-core cards, running at 2.2 GHz peak performance (48 cores for compute, 4 for assistance). This allows for some substantial Rpeak numbers, such as 537 PetaFLOPs of FP64, the usual TOP500 metric. Due to the design of the A64FX, it also allows for a total memory bandwith of 163 PetaBytes per second.
Citiraj:
The Azure Sphere OS is a custom Linux-based microcontroller operating system created by Microsoft to run on an Azure Sphere-certified chip and to connect to the Azure Sphere Security Service. MT3620 is the first Azure Sphere-certified chip and includes an ARM Cortex-A7 processor (500MHz), two ARM Cortex-M4F I/O subsystems (200MHz), 5x UART/I2C/SPI, 2x I2S, 8x ADC, up to 12 PWM counters and up to 72x GPIO, and Wi-Fi capability. MT3620 contains the Microsoft Pluton security subsystem with a dedicated Arm Cortext-M4F core that handles secure boot and secure system operation.
Citiraj:
Ampere Altra performance shows it can compete with - or even outperform - AMD EPYC & Intel Xeon
Citiraj:
While the talk in recent weeks has been about the performance of Apple's M1 ARM chip and then rumors there might be a 32 core chip in the pipe, there is already something much stronger: Ampere Altra has begun shipping and its flagship 80-core SoC with up to two sockets per server can easily take on the AMD EPYC 7742 "Rome" and Intel Xeon Platinum 8280 "Cascade Lake" performance across a variety of workloads. Here is our initial look at the Ampere Altra performance on Linux in our independent performance benchmarks. Ampere Altra's (Quicksilver) cores are based on Arm's Neoverse N1 with modifications and fabricated on TSMC's N7 process. Also significant with Ampere Altra is eight channels of DDR4-3200 memory support and capable of addressing 4TB of memory per socket. On the connectivity front, Ampere Altra supports 128 PCI Express Gen4 lanes for 1P configurations and 192 PCIe 4.0 lanes for 2P configurations. Ampere Altra can also support up to four CCIX accelerators. The Ampere Altra SKU we have been testing is the Q80-33 that offers 80 cores with a 3.3GHz max clock frequency and is rated for a 250 Watt TDP.
Citiraj:
So while Apple's M1 has done a good job for showing the ARM desktop performance potential, Ampere Altra's Q80 series shows what the performance can be like at the top-end for ARM within server and cloud deployments now actually providing serious competition against the current generation Intel Xeon and AMD EPYC servers. Looking ahead, Intel Ice Lake Xeon and AMD EPYC Milan are both expected next quarter. In fighting that Ampere already has their announced 128-core Ampere Altra Max (Mystique) processor that will retain socket compatibility with Ampere Altra and will be in production later in 2021. Given what we have seen with Ampere Altra, it will be very interesting to see how much of a performance leap they can achieve going forward with Mystique.
Izvor: Phoronix
The Exiled je offline