View Single Post
Staro 18.04.2018., 09:12   #4516
Gigi1
Premium
Moj komp

Datum registracije: Feb 2005
StoreMI moze koristi 2gb rama uz ssd, neki pisu da je moguce rijec o strippingu, ugl vjerojatno da je nesto sto radi bolje od samog win cachinga.
Drugi govore da je integrirano u hw lvl na chipsetu iako sumljam u to, prije da je rijec o free verziji enmotus fuzedrive-a.

treba pricekati rivjue da vidimo sto ce pokazati, do tad jedan komentar linuksaša
Citiraj:
This is really interesting to me because I'm a Linux guy and I use bcache, bcachefs, and lvmcache in various ways at both home and at the workplace.

SSD caching is really cool on Linux. The performance isn't as good as just having a huge SSD, but SSDs are expensive and I can have my 3TB hard drive with a 512GB SSD cache in front of it using bcache, and I don't have to think about where stuff is mounted or move data around. The backend takes care of it for me. The performance is WAY better than a hard drive, I get the high capacity of a hard drive, but I lose a little bit of performance sometimes due to cache lookups and if I'm working on a file that's not on the cache.

But on Windows, I've got nothing like that. Microsoft just doesn't have anything for SSD caching like Linux does for desktops. Of course, the only reason I have a Windows box is for gaming, and Steam is pretty great about letting me choose where to install games or move games between the SSD and hard drive I have there, so it's not too painful.

This feature is obviously to counter Intel's Optane caching. Both seem to have their positives and negatives, but Intel being Optane-only is a pretty big negative on that side.

It is important to note that StoreMI doesn't sound like it's actually a caching technology; it's striping. With things like bcache and Intel's Optane caching, the data on the cache is a copy/redunant from what is on the "backing" drive. AMD's solution sounds like it's actually striping and re-allocating the data around, which probably increased performance but reduces reliability and redundancy.

With the high reliability of modern SSDs, I'm not really worried about SSD failures so much. Users should have real backups anyway.

I will be interested in how this scheme handles power-cuts. If you don't have redundant data, we have to wonder if this technology is using a journal or how it assures that data isn't lost during a power cut, when that data is being transferred between the hard drive and the SSD.